Monday, November 28, 2011

1 month to go! Time to take some risk.


MONSTER PORTFOLIO 2011



Balance: Inception 01/07/11
$1977.32 Stock
$13.65 Cash
Total $1990.97

Balance: End of Week 45 11/25/11
$2,257.32
$4.95 Cash
Total $2,262.27

Since Inception: -16.79%

Back out cash inflow and we have a balance of $1,656.77

I think I can honestly say that the past 2 weeks in the stock market has been detrimental to my Monster Portfolio.  I managed to lose 12.5% of my portfolio. Ugh!  This market hasn’t been to kind to my high growth stock picks.  With a month left for 2011 I’m downgrading my outcome to finish in the black for the year compared to my original goal of a 10% gain on the year.  Europe destroyed my chances.  Even though today we had a major market rally the volatility is still on the table.  Stocks are extremely unstable unless you invested in solid dividend paying companies.

Now I’m not saying my picks won’t work, but to come back 26.79% with roughly a month to go is next to impossible!  My only shot would be to choose one of my picks and let it ride for the next 30 days. Hmm… LOL!  That actually sounds pretty enticing.  Here is what I’m up against to pull off this highly not recommended strategy. 

Including the big move today the end of year goal is set at +21.15% ($421.08 to be exact) now let’s compare the options

After transaction fees of $21.00 I will have a purchasing power $2353.49 to work with today’s closing prices

Current price purchasing power

WFT-168 shares at $13.96

WPRT-86 shares at $27.21

AAPL-6 shares at $376.12

To obtain my goal

WFT must close at $16.59 a share

WPRT must close at $32.36 a share

AAPL must close at $449.80 a share

All of my options have to move fast!

Now the hard part...

Should I choose the turnaround story, much approved, higher oil price beneficiary known as Weatherford International (WFT)

Or-

The high price energy alternative, double digit growth, and more than enough business for years to come also referred to as Westport Innovations (WPRT)

And lastly-

Apple (AAPL) The company that brings the greatest gifts for the holiday, the highest profit margins per cell phone, and a stock that has yet to see the true potential sales of its iPhone 4S

As of today my decision will be a mystery if I choose to go all in.  For the next month my portfolio results will be offline until the end of the year.  I have some choices to make and a lot of work to reach a 21.15% return by year end.  Wish me luck!

Have a great night! 

Clay-

“When in doubt buy more!”

Current Holdings:
Apple (AAPL)
Cosi Inc. (COSI)
Weatherford International (WFT)
Westport Innovations (WPRT)

1 comment: